Thursday, July 2, 2015

Ashamed Of The Gospel




The Lord Jesus says..."Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels." - Matthew 8:38 KJV. 

Since the day the Lord saved this poor man, I have told others of the great things He has done for me. Openly, publicly, on the streets, behind closed doors, one on one in private, on the hood of a classic car, in stores, shops, banks, in prisons, schools, churches, offline, and online. I have been mocked, spit upon, threatened, and beat near to death for sharing the Gospel to a lost soul, by someone very dear to me. Family, friends, enemies have shaken their head at me thinking I am beside myself. I have been called many names, and have been told I take things too far. I have been excluded, have been shunned, and have been left in silence. I have been unfriended and blocked on social media. My heart has been broken, my body scarred, my soul troubled. I have wept over souls, praying that the light of the glorious Gospel of Christ Jesus my Lord would shine upon them, that they might be saved. I am not popular. I have lost many friends, and family, and have been told to shut my mouth, to leave folks alone, and to take my God and my Bible and go away. By unbelievers, and by professing believers. Yet, I will not be moved. I am not ashamed of my Lord, not ashamed of my Saviour, and I am not ashamed of His word. No doubt there are times I have failed the Lord, but I am not ashamed of Him in any way. 

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth;" - Romans 1:16 KJV. 

Am I boasting of myself? Nay, I boast of my Saviour. His great kindness and love towards me compels me. The Gospel of Christ Jesus the Lord burns in my heart day and night. Woe is me if I preach not the Gospel. My longing is to see my family, my friends, my enemies, SAVED...to hear the Gospel and believe on the Lord, to repent and come to the Lord, and be saved by Him and Him alone. I cannot bear to see them perish in their sins, to die unsaved, and go to a place called hell. I cannot bear the thought of their blood being on my hands. More so, I cannot bear the thought of the Lord being ashamed of me when He comes. Ashamed of me because I did not tell them. I did not give them the Bread of life. Ashamed of me because I did not warn them out of love and compassion. Ashamed of me because I was ashamed of Him and His word, ashamed of the truth that sets men free. Nay, I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ Jesus the Lord, it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believes. When the Lord Jesus sets a man free, he is free indeed. He is our dearest hope.

"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." - Romans 5:1-8 KJV. 

"Hope maketh not ashamed". There is no shame in hope. There is no shame in holding out hope to poor sinners. What hope does a man have without Christ the Saviour? The Holy Ghost compels and moves, and sheds abroad the love of God in my heart, to reach out to a lost and dying world. Christ came to save sinners (like me), He died for the ungodly. While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Yeah, and in three days He rose again from death. The chains of death could never hold Him. He alone can save men, but so many reject Him. The unsaved have no hope without Him. They are subject to the fear of death, and the chains of death, subject to the wrath of God against all sin and wickedness. And so, I preach. I tell of the Saviour. I am not ashamed of the Gospel in this sinful and evil generation. 

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God." - John 3:16-21 KJV. 

Christ Jesus has not come to condemn men, to destroy the lives of men, no...but to save them. Those that believe on Him are not condemned, and they ought not to be ashamed of Him. Those that do not believe on Him are condemned already by their sin and unbelief. Those that refuse to believe on Him are the ones ashamed of Him, to them the Gospel is foolishness. "For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God." - 1 Corinthians 1:18 KJV. The light of the Gospel has come unto them, but the unbeliever loves darkness rather than the light. Unbelievers love their sin more. They choose their evil deeds rather than the Lord and His words. If an unbeliever dies in their sins, having rejected the Lord, He will reject them. If they are ashamed of Him and His words, He will be ashamed of them on that day of judgment. The fires of hell await those that perish...and so I cry aloud.

It makes me wonder that even some who profess His name seem ashamed of Him and His word. They profess to believe, yet shy away from the sound doctrine of Christ Jesus the Lord. They will not hand out the Bread of life to poor, lost sinners. They will not share His word. In fact, they do not seem to even know His word. They will gladly run after false preachers and teachers that may come in the name of Christ. They will run after those that promise health, wealth, and prosperity in His name. They flock to positive confessors who teach New Age Witchcraft under the guise of Christianity. They run after those that teach and preach a self-centered false gospel. Yet, they cannot endure sound doctrine, nor the reproof of the Lord and His word. They are blown about by every wind of doctrine and tradition of men. They prefer vain religion over the truth of the word of God. They love and run after the things of the world. It may be that they do not hold out the bread of life to poor sinners simply because they themselves refuse to eat that bread of life themselves. In other words, they are ashamed of the Lord Jesus and His word after all. If any man will not consent to wholesome words, words according to sound doctrine, he is vain and knows nothing. If any man or woman does not speak according to the word of the Lord, there is no light in them. Let no man or woman deceive you. There are many false prophets in the world. We are either walking in darkness, or in the light of the Lord and His word. 

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;" - 2 Timothy 1: 7-8 KJV.

So, why do I preach and share the Gospel? Because I am not ashamed of the Gospel, neither of the Lord and His words. I am not ashamed of the testimony of the Lord. There is a lot of Hubba Jubba out there I know..."Hubba Jubba" being what my dear brother calls religious nonsense and hypocrisy...but that will never negate the truth of God's word and the light of the glorious Gospel of Christ Jesus the Lord according to the Scriptures. The Lord does not give the spirit of fear, but the spirit of power, of love, and of a sound mind.  God is not the Author of chaos and confusion, but of peace and sound doctrine. Those led by the Holy Spirit are not ashamed of the Gospel. They are not ashamed of Him nor of His word. They care not what the world thinks of them. They take God at His word and believe Him. They are not seeking popularity and fame, they are seeking to be faithful to the Lord Himself and His words. I for one am not seeking to judge unrighteous judgment, not to be a "legalist" or a "Pharisee" as I have been wrongfully called many times. Nay, I am not ashamed of the Lord and His word. I care for the souls of men, the souls of my own dear kindred, of my friends, even of my enemies. I am not ashamed to care for souls. True love to your neighbor is telling them the truth, even if it wounds and offends them. True love to the Lord is keeping His word, and openly declaring the testimony of the Lord and sharing His word. If that offends, it may be that there is an unbelieving heart that is ashamed of the Lord and His words. 


"Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?" 
 - 2 Corinthians 13:5 KJV.

We ought to examine ourselves before the Lord. Are we saved? Are we ashamed of Him? Are we ashamed of His words? Is the truth of the Gospel foolishness to us? Do we yet have a wicked heart of unbelief? We must examine and judge our own selves in the light of His word. I am bold and unashamed, despite much reproach, much trouble, and much infirmity. In my own self I am weak, and am in much pain day and night in this body of weakness. It is the Lord that is faithful to forgive sin and cleanse from all unrighteousness. It is the Lord that gives boldness, that gives hope that maketh not ashamed. I preach not myself, but Christ Jesus the Lord and Him crucified, buried, and risen again the third day according to the Scriptures. By this Gospel I am saved. I will not be ashamed of this Gospel, nor of my Saviour. No fakery, no false pretences, no Hubba Jubba. Clear, plain, and simple. 

The Gospel sign in the photo of this tract is an actual photo taken this day at the entrance of our driveway. I still will tell of the great things the Lord has done for me. Some may think I am beside myself, mad with religion, preaching a foolish Gospel...Nay, it is the power of God unto salvation.  

Dan Dunn
June 17th, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment